Sat 03
Lower Breck
1st Team
M Douglas (9'), (12'), C Roberts (90')
J Lufudu (48')
Lower Breck 3-1 Emley

Lower Breck 3-1 Emley

By Martin Eastwood
Share via

Emley lose out in Liverpool

Emley's first ever game in the North West Counties Division one North ended in a fruitless trip to Liverpool as they were beaten 3-1 by Lower Breck.
Although the scoreline may seem harsh as the game was fairly even for the most part, but the hosts, who finished 4th in their inaugural season last year and despite ending the game were far more clinical when needed to be.
A much changed Emley, the first game under the new management team, started brightly,striker, Jimmy Eyles found himself one on one with the 'Breck keeper but couldn't get his shot past him, while at the other end, Emley stopper, Mateusz Zaniewski, made a good save from a snap shot inside the area.
But the the hosts, on their rubber-plastic pitch, took control and scored 2 quick fire goals, first, Michael Douglas latched onto a neat through ball to place the ball pass Zaniewski into the bottom corner, just 3 minutes later Douglas, bagged his brace, with a firm header from a corner, into the same corner of the net.
Worse was to follow for the Visitors as Wayne Hughes had to come off injured to be replaced by Jack Cooper, and within minutes Zaniewski had to leave the field, also injured, to be replaced by George Clarke, Emley would be facing the next 60 minutes with only 1 substitute.
Lower Breck, took control of the game until half time, but despite some neat play, they couldn't find another breakthrough, and only mustered one more real shot, although that was an ambitious shot from halfway which sailed harmlessly wide.
H/T 2-0
So, Emley were looking at a proverbial mountain to climb for the 2nd half if they were to leave Liverpool with any points, and they made an immediate impact, starting off on the front foot, the lively John Lufudu was rewarded for his tenacity, after losing possession, he did well to reclaim possession before looking up and curling a right foot shot high into the 'Breck net to the delight of the good travelling Emley support.
Lufudu and Ben Walker were starting to cause problems up front now and with Josh Ingham, Conor Glavin and Jamie Price working hard in midfield, Jack Cooper and Jaydn Sandhu on the flanks, Emley started to look threatening, but couldn't find the killer pass or right weighted cross to make it matter.
Emley's hope were raised when the hosts were reduced to 10 men, when Duffy was deemed to have gone in reckless, but Emley failed to capitalise, a couple of half chances were passed up before Conor Glavin floated a free kick over the bar, Glavin was then replaced by Daniel Farrar with 10 to go.
However, the game was now pretty fractured, with stoppages and whistle blowing, both teams frustrated by some of the decisions being given.
But it was the home side who finally wrapped up the points deep into injury time, a lovely through ball and Roberts finished well past Clarke to seal the game for the home team.
Emley battled well and were unlucky with 2 first half injuries which disrupted them, but they scrapped and fought until the end, but weren't clinical enough.
EMLEY- Zaniewski, Dawson, Sandhu, Price, Hughes, Stafford, Glavin, Ingham, Lufudu, Eyles, Walker.: Subs used- Cooper, Clarke, Farrar. Unused- Wilson
Goal- Lufudu '48
Attendance- 136
Emley MOTM- James Stafford
Share via

Match details

Match date

Sat 03, Aug 2019






First Division North

League position

Lower Breck
Emley AFC
James Stafford

Player of the match

James Stafford